Are you looking for the best bike paths in Toronto ? Read my blog and gett all the best routes https://plus.google.com/u/0/109453838823682794112/posts/VMxyi74HiRR
- Bike Doctor 2 – Available for both Droid and iPhone, Bike Doctor 2 shows you how to repair your bike. It also comes with a neat check-list to get that perfect ride.
- Bike Hub – Blue Hub is a GPS unit for bikes. This little app lets you decide your routes by showing you all your options. It then guides you along the way.
- BioLogic BikeBrain – This iPhone-only app is a fully functional fully functioning computer complete with GPS, performance monitoring and programmable training modes.
- Livestrong Calorie Tracker – Calorie Tracker is a mobile training unit. It tracks your exercise regimen, weight and calorie intake. You need this app if you want to become a better rider..
- Sports Tracker – Sports Tracker is another GPS app for your bike. It monitors your performance and lets you share your skills with the world.
- Cyclemeter – Cyclemter is another GPS, but only for your iPhone. The app tracks and analyses your speed, distance, and elevation. It then displays your route on top of a Google Map.
- Cychosis – Cyclosis is a bike computer for the iPhone. It lets you log your trips and then develops charts and spreadsheets from the data.
- Endomondo – tracks your trip times, average speed and distance, and displays them on top of Google Maps. It also comes with a virtual coach.
- Google Maps – If you have not used Google Maps, you haven’t lived. This app is available on all mobile devices with web browsers but comes as a standalone app for Android.
- EveryTrail – EveryTrail is a GPS app that lets you see your entire route on top of a Google Map.. It also comes with its own mapping program called Open Street Maps to save battery life.
- LiveRider – LiveRider is another performance-tracking iPhone app. However, it comes with its own sensor you attach to your rear wheel for better accuracy.
- RunKeeper – RunKeeper is a popular and easy-to-use tracking app. While it does not have as many features as the others, RunKeeper has a nice collection of integrated extras.
- Rendezous – Rendezous is an iPhone app for people who like to ride in groups. More versatile that just using Twitter, this app lets you arrange rides and then invite people.
- Strava – Strava is another fitness tracking app, but it comes with the most social media features than any other app..
- Wahoo Fitness ANT+ – The ANT+ combines with the Wahoo Bike Pack to make your bike a complete exercise machine.
These 15 apps are the most popular and more versatile on the market today. The iPhone has more apps of course, but the differences between the iPhone and Droids decrease every day. The same cannot be said about other phones. They are all still playing catch up.
Images inspired by a bike ride in the grass in Toronto – photographs by John Diogenous on a spring day.
Treasured Childhood Memories Help to Bring Empowerment to Others –
Simple encounters and interactions often ignite passions that guide our lives on an unexpected path. Such an event happened to Mike B., the founder of Bikes Without Borders in 2004. On a trip to a town in Northern Nicaragua, he met a little girl who walked 2 hours each way to school. Remembering riding bikes to school, Mike decided to donate bikes to the school the girl attended, and started a charity that empowers people worldwide.
Bikes Without Borders is a Canadian charity dedicated to using bikes and bike related solutions to assist development in marginalized communities. Upon returning to the school where he donated the bikes and discovered how popular and empowering they had become. Teachers used the bikes as incentives for the children to excel in their studies. Fieldworkers wanted bikes to ride to their fields, so they did not have to walk. Families who could not afford cars or public transportation used bikes for more efficient transportation to and from jobs, thus affording them more time with loved ones.
Bikes Without Borders does not just help people in developing countries. The Great Bike Recycle assists youths in the St.James Town Neighbourhood of Toronto. The charity also partners with other businesses in multitudes endeavours Mountain Equipment Co-op dedicates store space for the Bikes Without Borders clothing line with 100 percent of the profits going toward the charity. ING Direct sponsors the Toronto Tweed Ride.
A seemingly chance encounter with a little girl brought cherished memories to Mike B’s mind. Those memories, and a desire to help gave birth to Bikes Without Borders. The charity has brought empowerment and joy to many worldwide.
Bike sharing is a new idea on the market. Not only is it good for the environment, it also is good for the pocketbook. BIXI Toronto has bikes for your bike sharing needs. It is a great company with a new location, which is convenient to meet any customer’s needs.
Choosing to bike instead of using urban transportation is a great help to the environment. This is a real option if you live in a urban area where everything is closely located. Every time that you use your human fuel to power a bicycle, you are saving the ozone from harmful exhaust that is emitted from buses, cars, trains and motorcycles. This is a good idea not only for people who are alive today, but also for those in future generations. It is imperative that we are kinder to our planet so future humans can enjoy it as well.
Toronto.bixi.com is easy to use also. It allows customers to get bikes 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The first thirty minutes of each trip are free and you can drop the bike off at a station close to your destination. This makes bike riding easy and fun without having to worry about maintenance either.
This is an super easy system that allows customers to walk up to the station, choose a bike and pay with a credit or debit card. After payment, the BIXI system will issue a code to unlock your bike from the rack. That is all that is required and remember the first 30 minutes of trip are included and your card will be charged for additional time.
I think this is a great approach to an environmentally concious idea and beleive more people should use Bixi and get out on the road on two wheels.
Are you a cycling enthusiast currently living in Toronto or with plans to visit the city?
If the answer is yes, then you should treat yourself with an adventure of a lifetime while in the city. Cycling has a lot of positive health benefits but more importantly, it gives one the opportunity to experience the amazing sounds and city of the city of Toronto. Unlike other forms of touring the city, cycling enables one to travel deeper into areas that would otherwise be inaccessible when using other means of transport like buses and at the same time, making it more convenient to make stops at places that you wish.
Cycling tours in Toronto could be three way: One may opt to sign up for group touring where a couple of other cycling enthusiasts also join in. This type of group is usually accompanied by an expert to guide them through various landmark and lighthouse attractions within and around the city. The same too applies for private tours especially for people with special interests and who wish to focus more on certain attractions. The third alternative is touring the city while cycling solo. This only applies if one is well knowledgeable of the area and its surrounding though it’s not recommended for a first time tourist of the city.
Examples of remarkable places to tour while cycling around the city include the Toronto islands; the harbourfront that is home to Toronto’s best theatres, art galleries and restaurants; the Wonderland Park; Toronto Zoo; Casa Loma; Yorkville; the Rogers Centre; CN Tower which was nominated as one of the seven Wonders of the modern world and other several attractions including hotels, shopping malls and markets. While cycling through these attractions, one can slow down if need be to enable them connect more with these attractions and learn more about them.
Various touring agencies offer bicycles for rental while the tourist is still in the city. Although the rates charged on bicycles vary, they are much affordable compared to all the other forms of transportation. Bicycling is in the same way more convenient since one doesn’t have to pay for packing and neither do they have to worry about dealing with heavy traffic. Moreover, since many people assume that taking a vacation is all about relaxing, by you opting to cycle will keep fit and healthy hence give you a sense of pride in what you will have accomplished.
Video is here – http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=26464461&topic_id=8878984&c_id=tor&tcid=vpp_copy_26464461&v=3